APPETITE SUPPRESSANTS ,ANTI OBESITY DRUGS
International Brand Name:
Meridia, Ectiva, Reductil
1. Dry mouth
4. Mood swings
6. Chest pain
7. Mild increase in BP and heart rate
8. Altered liver function tests
9. Allergic reactions
1. Hypersensitivity to the drug
2. In patient`s receiving MAO inhibitors
3. Patients receiving other centrally acting appetite suppressants
4. Anorexia nervosa
5. In patients with coronary artery diseases, heart failure, arrhythmias and stroke
6. Severe renal impairment
7. Severe hepatic impairment
8. History of Seizures
1. Narrow angle glaucoma
2. Regularly monitors BP during therapy
3. Exclude organic causes of obesity like hypothyroidism
4. Avoid driving or using hazardous machinery which requires mental alertness
5. Hepatic impairment
6. Renal impairment
CNS active drugs: Use with caution with other CNS active drugs. It should not be used with MAOIs. Atleast 2-weeks should elapse between discontinuation of a MAOI and initiation of treatment with sibutramine.
Drugs that may raise blood pressure and/or heart rate: Caution should be used when prescribing sibutramine to patients who use these medications.
Drugs that inhibit cytochrome P450 (3A4) metabolism (Erythromycin, ketoconazole): Concomitant administration of these drugs with sibutramine is not recommended since there is a potential for interaction.
Cimetidine: Efficacy of cimetidine enhanced.
Alcohol: Concomitant use with alcohol is not recommended.
Oral contraceptives: Sibutramine does not inhibit suppression of ovulation by oral contraceptives.
Oral: 10mg once daily with or without food. Dose may increase to 15mg daily after 4 weeks if weight loss is inadequate. Patients who don`t tolerate the 10mg dose may receive 5mg daily. Should not use doses above 15mg daily.